Propose a presentation for the Finnish Conference on Cultural Policy Research
The X Finnish Conference on Cultural Policy Research will be held in Helsinki on 18-19 April 2024. The theme of the conference in 2024 is the futures of cultural policy. The call for presentations has been extended until 22nd of January 2024!
There are constant changes going on in our society, and cultural policy must keep up with it. Wide-scale phenomena and transformative powers in society, such as issues concerning environmental sustainability and wellbeing of the population, technological development, the weakening financial base and decay of democracy1 are things that we need to pay attention to in all areas of policies. Cultural activities and their potential are influenced not only by major societal developments but also internal phenomena in the cultural sector, and these aspects determine what kinds of roles and goals are set for culture and the arts in various contexts in society.
To establish the right direction for our future cultural policy, we need to examine potential future scenarios by forecasting, planning, being prepared and expressing intentions and wishes, for example. Research plays a central role when examining and assessing the goals and measures of cultural policy.
The theme of the conference can be approached from many perspectives. Possible perspectives for working groups and presentations include the following:
- What kinds of development trends will affect cultural policy, cultural activities and artistic work in the future?
- How will various guidelines and documents influence the future concepts and reality of cultural policy? What kind of future do we build through our cultural policy?
- What kind of cultural policy do we need in order to secure proper operating conditions for the cultural sector in the future? How do the changes in various fields of art reflect on cultural policy?
- How is the role of cultural planning reflected on local-level politics and cultural policy in different regions and cities?
- Equality and equity in future cultural policy
- Significance of social classes in future cultural policy
- Cultural policy and sustainable development
- Cultural policy and technological development
- Grounds for cultural subsidies in future cultural policy
Presentations in which cultural policy is examined from perspectives other than those mentioned above are also welcome.
Proposals for presentations
Please send proposals for presentations by 22nd of January 2024 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The proposal should be 250–300 words and include the title and topic of the presentation as well as the contact information of the presenter. Presentations can be in Finnish, Swedish or English. In your proposal, state the language in which you want to give your presentation.
The organising committee of the conference will form thematic working groups based on the presentation proposals.
Presenters are encouraged to edit their presentation into an article and offer it for publication in the Cultural Policy Research Yearbook.
The Finnish Conference on Cultural Policy Research offers a multidisciplinary and scientific forum for everyone interested in the phenomena of cultural policy. The 2024 conference will be organised by the Society for Cultural Policy Research in Finland in collaboration with the Master’s Degree Programme in Arts Management, Society and Creative Entrepreneurship of Uniarts Helsinki’s Sibelius Academy.